Kashif Hafeez Siddiqui

Understand Pakistan III – Consumer’s Lifestyle

In Understand Pakistan Series on July 20, 2009 at 9:45 am
Source : http://www.gallup.com.pk/index.php Almost Two Thirds (64%) Prefer Popular Music Over Other Genres of Music arts-music-graphic

Although more than half of all Pakistanis (59%) are fond of listening to music, a significant 39% do not listen to music. Amongst various genres of music, popular music has more listener ship (64%) followed by Ghazals (18%), Qawalis (6%) and others (5%). Ghazals and Qawalis are mostly heard by older people as compared to people under 30 years of age who are fond of popular music. Recent findings show that English music (considered mostly as western music) has less appeal in Pakistan as compared to other genres. Popular music is music belonging to any of a number of musical styles that are accessible to the general public and are disseminated by one or more of the mass media.

 
 
Majority (72%) Prefers Using Tooth Paste to Clean Their TeethToothpasteMore than two thirds of all Pakistanis (72%) use toothpaste for dental care followed by Miswak and Manjan Powder each used by 18% and 9% respectively. Amongst those who do not use tooth paste, majority (27%) claimed toothpaste is an expensive product, 25% said there is no specific reason for them to not use tooth paste, 17% believe tooth paste does not clean teeth properly, 22% claimed they use Miswak instead, because it is cheaper and 6% said that their method of cleaning their teeth (i.e Miswak) is a Sunnat (practiced and promoted by the Prophet sws).
 
 
Majority (82%) Claim Their Eating Habits Have Changed Due to Increase in the Prices of Food Itemspot1More  than two thirds of all Pakistanis (82%) claim that an increase in the price of food items has affected their eating habits to a great or at least to some extent. Ten percent (10%) of the respondents stated that inflation in food items has had a very little affect on their eating habits where as for 7% there has been no change. Rise in the prices of eatables has made people from all income groups to change their eating habits.
 
Majority Believes (41%) that Parents Should Allow Their Children to Marry Someone of Their Own ChoiceHigher number of Pakistanis (41%) believe that parents should allow their children to marry someone of their own choice, CALTZ3M8while 31% said they should not be allowed. Twenty eight percent (28%) claimed that it all depends on the situation. The data reveals that boys tend to get more support for love marriage as compared to their female counter parts. It must however be noted that concepts like ‘marriage by choice’ are strongly influenced by customs and traditions and ‘love marriage’ may not necessarily be the term that captures the meaning of our respondents. It is our approximation, open for debate. According to analysts at Gallup Pakistan, opposition to ‘marriage by choice’ may not be so stark as it seems and may connote an opposition to choice which is disapproved by the family. Similarly support for choice may also not be so open-ended as to endorse defiance of views of other family members. The findings of the survey should be read in that context.
 
 
41% Claim to Have Access to a Motorcycle; Majority does not have any Personal TransportationPakistani Man riding motorcycleMajority of all Pakistanis do not own any means of personal transportation, 8% have claimed to own a car and 41% of the respondents said they have access to motorcycles. Motorcycles may or may not be owned by them and might belong to a close relative or work place. A higher percentage of urbanites compared to the ruralites, have access to cars or motorcycles.
 
 
More Than 50% Men and Women in Pakistan Claim to Assist Each Other in Running the HouseholdMen (56%) and women (55%) in Pakistan claim that they assist each other in running the household. There are some choresPAKISTAN-POLITICS-VOTE inside the house with which men claim to help and women are also believed to partake in running errands outside the house. However there is still a significantly high percentage of men (43%) and women (44%) who do not take each others responsibilities, instead they play the role customs and socialization has described for them.
 
One Fourth of Pakistanis Claim Their Family Member Suffered Due to Heat Intensitysunshine_3One fourth of all Pakistanis (29%) claimed someone from their family member fell sick because of the heat intensity this year, where as 68% said the heat did not affect anyone’s health in their family.
 
Very Few Mosques Are Believed to Provide a Separate Praying Area for Womenmuslim_women_women_praying_in_mosqueMajority of all Pakistanis (85%) said that mosques situated in their local areas do not have any sort of reserved place for women to take part in the congregational prayers, while 12% claimed their local mosques do. The survey shows that Punjab is believed to have maximum number of mosques with female praying areas.
 
 
21% Claim to Have a Recreational Park Near Their House; 42% Regularly Visit These Parks

parks_Sheffield Park21% of all Pakistanis said they have a recreational park near their house, whereas the majority (79%) claimed to have no such facility. Amongst those who do have a park near their residence, majority (42%) claimed to be regular visitors.

 
 
Views on Methods of Social ChangePublic attitude is divided on how best to change and improve society.WOMEN A third of Pakistanis subscribe to revolutionary views, another third support gradual reform and the remaining third want the status quo to remain. Interestingly, men showed a proportionately higher preference for revolutionary change while women claimed to equally support both revolution and gradual reformation for bringing change in society
 
Very Few Pakistanis Can Afford Recreational Activitieshsandrec_home1Only a minority of all Pakistanis participate in outdoor activities such as Eating out (31%), Domestic travel for fun (27%), Domestic travel for work (16%), and Foreign travel for fun and work (1% each) within a span of one year. Majority are unable to do any of these activities possibly due to lack of finances and opportunity. Interestingly there is a flip side to it. As opportunities for financially affordable individual and nuclear-family focused activities are few, most Pakistanis seek entertainment in extended-family based congregations and communal gatherings.
 
One Third of Pakistanis View Globalization Favorably, the Rest Are Divided; Half of Them Believe Foreign Investment Has a Positive ImpactglobalizationWhile the majority of Pakistanis (35%) have favorable views about globalization, a sizeable percentage think it is neither good nor bad (28%) or simply have not formed a view yet (24%). Despite this ambiguity, more than half (52%) deem foreign investment to be valuable for their country’s economic progress.
 
Only 5% Claimed to Have Traveled Abroad; UAE Tops The Most-Visited ListPIAMajority of all Pakistanis (95%) have never had a chance to travel outside Pakistan, only 5% said they have gone abroad. Amongst those, who have traveled overseas, majority (52%) have visited UAE. The remaining respondents have claimed to visit Asian countries (24%), Europe (13%), and Africa/USA (10%). The survey shows that majority (44%) of these people went abroad for employment or business ventures and one third (34%) traveled to perform Haj or Umra (The Holy Pilgrimage to Mekkah). Some of the other reasons cited were recreation (8%), visiting relatives (8%), and education or others (6%).
 
While Majority (47%) Claim to Earn Enough For Living, 42% Said Their Income is Not EnoughOnly a hand full of Pakistanis (11%) earn such that they can have savings, where as most of the respondents either earn dollars040104enough for their living (47%) or below average (42%). Regarding their current economic condition, 38% claimed it is the same as in the previous year and 31% said it is a little better. Forty three percent (43%) said that their personal economic conditions would remain the same in the future and 41% are hopeful that their financial situation would either be a lot better (12%) or at least a little better (29%) after one year. It must be noted that these are perceptions and may or may not match the material situation experienced by the respondents.
 
 
31% Use Emergency Lights During Load SheddingPakistan-Load-SheddingMajority (42%) of all Pakistanis require electricity to a great or some extent to do their work. Just as many (42%) are either forced to terminate their work during the day or discontinue working during load shedding. Only 11% have the luxury of using generators or UPS.
 
Advertisements
  1. plz also get a poll on the hatred against taliban in pakistan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: